World Diabetes Day 14 November 2020
Facts on Diabetes in Singapore
Did You Know:
- Singapore has one of the highest rates of diabetes prevalence in the world
- 1 in 3 Singaporeans are at risk of developing diabetes in their lifetime
- 1 in 3 individuals with diabetes is not aware they have the condition
- Among those diagnosed, 1 in 3 have poor management of their condition which leads to serious risks of complications
Diabetes: A healthcare challenge
The year is 2050. The number of people in Singapore living with diabetes is close to 1 million, and the cost burden from diabetes, including medical expenses and productivity loss, is $2.5 billion. This is the reality we are faced with if we do not take any action to address the growing public health crisis right now.
Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, those among us living with diabetes are more vulnerable to Infections and complications. Moreover, 1 in 3 individuals with diabetes in Singapore are undiagnosed.
Singapore’s efforts on combating Diabetes
Singapore has established a strategic framework to declare war on diabetes, in a bid to promote awareness to prevent diabetes, and to help those with diabetes to better manage their condition. The framework’s recommendations for better disease management include the following:
- Anchoring chronic disease management in primary care
- Empowering patients to co-own their care journeys for better outcomes
- Delaying progression of diabetes complications
Educating Your Patients – Empowering them to make an early change
Primary care physicians, as the anchor of chronic disease management, can make a difference through patient education – providing the first major step to health ownership. However with the high patient volume, how can primary care physicians provide the best holistic care for their patients?
With the advancement of technology, we could now leverage on data and digital solutions to detect patients’ disease risk early, enable individuals to understand their health status with ease, and take actions early for better health outcomes swiftly.
Mesh Bio understands the challenge of primary care providers, and is committed to building data-driven, patient centric solutions to help doctors do their best work. Our DARA solution is built with the aim to enable clinicians to provide patients with health risk assessment and recommendations based on their clinical data using predictive analytics.
Benefits of digital solution for disease management
- Personalised health risk assessment
- Streamline clinical workflow
- Prioritise patient procedures with better accuracy and efficiency
- Develop engaging and motivational long-term relationships with patients to effect change
- Monitoring health outcomes